justify my love

Just read someone's LJ post essentially bringing up the NT clobber passages and asking for them to be rebutted for, oh, the sixty thousandth time.



1 Corinthians 6:9-11
"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

I love the end of that, because it completely sums up our beliefs! It also proves two points: The practice of homosexuality is a sin, and it can be washed away with Jesus' blood, just like EVERY other sin. Homosexuality is no different, and God judges all sins equally, although I can't remember the verse reference for that right now, sorry.



Frankly I'm sick of having to justify my existence to everyone with the bright idea of "but there's no such thing as a gay Christian! You're either gay OR Christian!" It speaks of such a gross misunderstanding of what it means to be gay and to be Christian that I don't even know where to start.

What do they mean by "the practice of homosexuality"? Gay sex? Fine, then, what's "sex"? Am I allowed anything up to third base? Can I kiss my girlfriend? Cheek only? Hold her hand? Should we wear hazmat suits around each other to ward off the mere possibility of teh 3v1l l3sb1an s3xx0rz? This is probably even harder to answer for a lesbian, since our sex lives don't involve penises (at least the sort not made of silicone, which are optional in any case), so by community standards we might not even be having Real Sex, whatever the hell that is.

Or on the flip side, am I totally disbarred from falling in love, full stop? That's a burden not laid on even totally celibate straight single Christians. If you want me to be totally physically and emotionally celibate without any hope of being otherwise, you damn well better give me a better reason than "'Cause homosexuality is wrong, of course. Haven't you read the Bible?"

Paul saw pagans banging anything that moved below them on a social hierarchy and spoke against it. What does this have to do with me being in a committed monogamous loving relationship with someone of my own sex? Nothing, thank you, and I hate having to qualify any relationship I might have as "committed and monogamous and loving." As far as I know, Christians don't have big political hissy fits over nonmonogamous hetero marriages of convenience.

I have seen Christians who don't believe in the existence of God who join a church as a political move field fewer questions as to their legitimacy as Christians. When did my sex life (or lack thereof) become a better measure of my faith than my faith?

As well, what sin exactly would Jesus be washing away from me? My entire sense of sexuality, or just my homosexually oriented clitoris? Will the blood of the Lamb brainwash me into finding a nice Christian man to lay back and think of England with?

Fuck that.

Labels: ,

thus saith Liadan at 7:31 PM

7 Comments:

Blogger Otherside saith at 4/27/2006 10:34 PM...  

Well excuse me. I said I'm questioning whether it's a sin or not. I wasn't trying to debunk your views or anyone elses. I just want to make sure it's right in God's eyes for my OWN sake. I provided one example of a few good points, and I DID provide an argument for the opposite side.

But of course, EVERYONE seems to focus on the negative part, rather than this just being me trying to do the right thing in the eyes of God.

I never said that being gay and believing it's not a sin didn't make you a Christian. Who is it that said that anyway?

Blogger Liadan saith at 4/28/2006 1:39 AM...  

Note that it was the author you quoted that raised my ire, not you.

Blogger Come Back Brighter saith at 4/28/2006 2:38 PM...  

Don't knock thinking of England, I happen to enjoy thinking of England when I have homosexual sex -- which for me since it involves two penises must be doubly sinful.

Since I'm not even a Christian it's all sort of a moot point for me, but I think you already know my position on this by now anyway. God would love you unconditionally, and being omnipotent and all I'm sure God would have been quite capable of ensuring you weren't gay -- because one of the only things more offensive than saying it's a sin is the suggestion that it's ever been a choice.

Anonymous Anonymous saith at 5/11/2006 11:12 PM...  

i love your honesty!

right now i feel like my heart is shattered.

the love of my life, my soul mate, couldn't love me and jesus. i've moved on... it has been five fucking years and i still can't shake her! it hurts so bad i ache.

how do i wash this away?

Blogger Peterson Toscano saith at 5/13/2006 11:02 PM...  

lidan, thank you. I appreciate how you express the frustration of having to answer the same damn questions over and over again. Just google "clobber passages" if ya want to know the mulitude of words written on the matter.

I understand someone wanting to know, but how many times and in how many ways do we need to explain this. Let he/she with ears to hear, hear already and move on to more important matters.

Blogger belledame222 saith at 5/14/2006 11:31 PM...  

>Since I'm not even a Christian it's all sort of a moot point for me, but I think you already know my position on this by now anyway. God would love you unconditionally,

word.

seems to me that when people talk of a God that *doesn't* love unconditionally, they are only reflecting what is (or isn't) in their own hearts.

Anonymous Anonymous saith at 5/25/2006 6:42 AM...  

"Fuck that."

Amen sister.

I love a Christian who can swear with style.

Post a Comment