one of those other kinds of days

I actually had a really good day today.

I know. I was shocked too. That's the nice thing about being a pessimist-- the only surprises you get are pleasant ones. Particularly the better you get at anticipating the worst, which is in itself a sort of creative exercise. Pessimism is a paradoxical win-win situation-- either good stuff happens, or you get the satisfaction of being right all along.

Painting class was nice. Not only did I get a lot of work done, which nearly brings me to a finish on my still life (I had to stop early so I'd have something to do while logging out-of-class work hours) I asked the prof for a final check and he looked at my painting for a minute, and then asked "So, what's your major again?"

"Sequential art."*

"Are you a painting minor?"

"Nope. I'm a drawing minor, though." (Which is pretty similar, since "drawing" is more about the technical qualities of art than draftsmanship per se. I've done paintings for projects in drawing classes, particularly my color drawing class.)

"Have you considered a minor in painting?"

"Well, it's too late to do anything about it since I graduate next quarter, but hey. I've thought about grad school in painting, though."

"Yeah, you could do that."

So yay, that was my ego boost for the day. ^_____^

My other happy moment was, after missing Iris walking to class about four classes in a row on my way to art history (which sucked because that had been the high point of my art history class days), I caught up with her today. So that just put me in a better mood altogether.

And the BEST part is that it's nearly one in the morning and the other shoe never dropped. ... Well, I found out that my art history journal was due today, but since I'm pretty confident in my ability to pull a B in that class anyway, it wasn't a huge shoe-drop, as these things go.

So! Yes. Now I must needs return to my finals schedule, which involves finishing two oil paintings (one of which I, um, kind of haven't started yet) and my art history journal (subtitle: The Great Bullshitting Extravaganza) by Monday and my illustration class final (which involves dragons!) by next Thursday.)

I will not be sleeping much this weekend, but since I'm an insomniac who works best between the hours of 12 and 5 a.m. anyway, this probably works in my favor.

* Yes, I'm majoring in comics. And it's awesome.

Labels: ,

thus saith Liadan at 12:31 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment